04.12.10: From the Rooftop
What’s your building industry business? Shout it from the rooftop!
Happy Architecture Week
By Karen A. Davis
There are so many places I’d love to see, but right now I am drawn to Sagrada Familia, the massive cathedral in Barcelona, Spain designed by Antonio Gaudi. The building has been under construction since 1882 and is not expected to be complete until 2026 – 144 years of construction. (And you were angry when the contractor missed your home remodeling deadline by two weeks!) It will be open for tours and public worship this September. See the website and a slideshow on YouTube
I first studied this structure during an Architectural History course in college and was enthralled by the religious symbolism, elaborate detail, and story-telling sculptures. Gaudi based his designs on forms found in nature, seen in the tree-like supports, vaulting resembling ribs and the bone-like columns, and other elements throughout the building. There are also influences of art nouveau, baroque and cubism styles.
When complete, the cathedral will have 18 towers, three grand facades – the Nativity facade that Gaudi finished himself, the Glory facade, and the Passion facade with sculptures added in 1987 that were very different from those completed by Gaudi.
News You May Have Missed
We’re on information overload. If you can’t get to all of the Building Industry news on the Internet and in periodicals, follow the @buildingsource Twitter feed and be sure to link to the RSS for daily updates (over 1,400 followers can’t be wrong). And you can get more details on our Facebook Page. Go ahead, become a fan! Topics include: Marketing, Practice & Professional Development, Architecture, Construction, Interior Design, Real Estate and Facilities Management.
Get our e-Newsletter, From the Rooftop, in your e-mail inbox for free!
Did you miss the helpful links on Twitter? (Follow @buildingsource)
15 Tweets to Build Your Business
- Ready to start a blog site, but doubting yourself? READ this: http://bit.ly/dbQjND
- Use your lunch hour to plan your big project: http://bit.ly/c6aRqz
- 9 Traits of a Great Small Business: http://is.gd/aot7k
- Worth repeating: It's not what they can do for you, but what you can do for them. http://short.to/1liww
- And Pay Special Attention to a Reader: http://bit.ly/d8qTC8 from @ProBlogger
- Thanks @matthewdevries & @CSIConstruction - Helps me for this weekend | Ctrl-Alt-Delete: When Ur Presentation Goes Bad? http://ow.ly/1nmGo
- The Golden Rule of Sales for the #AEC industry: http://is.gd/aTovt 5:06 PM Mar 22nd via API
- RT @TimKlabunde @matthandal: Introducing 1st iPhone/iPad app specifically for AEC industry http://www.aeciphoneapp.com | Need Blackberry app
- Have you given your website visitors a reason to contact you? http://bit.ly/cA3f2J (by @fivesparrows)
- Recommended for #AEC by @kurtislouis Top 200 LinkedIn Groups for Finding New & Repeat Clients http://is.gd/aTusE
- RT @gsapbsIRD Would you like to know how to do business with #GSA? Check out this useful page: http://www.gsa.gov/industryrelations.
- You’re not doing yourself any favors by charging low. That only works for the short-term. http://bit.ly/b7CSzJ @3dsMax via @haubert
- 5 key to selling your #AEC professional services: http://short.to/kmzn #architects #interior #design #construction
- Your competition is one of your most valuable resources. Watch what they're doing and learn from their successes. (via @ezinearticles)
- Document and delegate your success systems: http://dld.bz/scy from @ducttape
… and 5 to Build Your Career
- RT @LaTanyaOrr RT @HarvardBiz Define Your Personal Leadership Brand in Five Steps http://s.hbr.org/cJ0q8o
- 50+ tips to brand yourself online: http://dld.bz/r73 by @JacobShare @DanSchawbel
- 8 ways to market yourself or your business in a slow economy: http://bit.ly/aH5w7u #AEC #architects #interior #design #construction
- Are you making the most of your professional association memberships? http://bit.ly/cP17jP
- "Remember me" idea from @sologig: Send hiring mgr a personalized email w/link to 1-2 min video about yourself immed after sending job app.
… and One More
Did you miss the workshop last month? Here’s another opportunity…
Karen A. Davis of Building Industry Resources presents
Saturday, April 17, 2010
Royal Oak, MI
- Use Social Networking to promote your business, career or organization
- Hands-on instruction
- Leave with a presence on four major networking sites
- Small class size for one-on-one instruction
Can’t make the workshop, or don’t have the time to set up your Social Networking sites. Jump-start your social media marketing for less than the cost of hiring a marketing coordinator for a week. More here
Social media sites are increasingly utilized to engage new clients, research potential projects and collaborators, and increase brand awareness. Reap the benefits of maximum online exposure through Building Industry Resources’ social media, marketing and public relations services.
We provide clients with maximum exposure through popular networking and building industry niche sites, blogs, and other media. We also offer marketing plan development and coaching, as well as press releases and other traditional public relations services. All services include consulting and coaching, ensuring you and your firm remain on track. See our Social Networking services
Building Industry Resources offers business development, marketing, strategic planning and technical support services, encouraging and assisting firms and professionals to reach their full potential. Need an accountability partner or assistance developing your strategic plan? Give us a call or send an e-mail.